Because I need to vent...

Friday, July 15, 2011

A new low. Literally.

So recently Ive been working very hard to get into good physical shape in preparation for having surgery. The "healthier" you are when you go under the knife, the easier recovery will be. I normally work out 3-4 times per week, but for this past week Ive been working out everyday, pushing myself harder to try and get back into shape. Which Ive written about on here before. So far so good... Ive lost an inch off my hips and .5 inch off my waist, and I feel pretty good. 
So yesterday I wanted to push myself. I started off with a 1.5 mile run, started off with a jog, then progressed into sprints and trying to advance my run time. Finished, felt pretty good. A little shaky but whatever. Then I went into 2 minutes of sit ups like we do for PT tests, got a solid 80. A little more shaky. 35 burpies (squats with a jump) I notice that Im actually pretty cold and clammy, my pulse is pretty thready, and now Im starting to feel really light headed. So I decide (as Ive been told to do) to go take my Blood pressure. The first reading I took, I was 100/65... low. Then I stood up, waited a minute, and took it again, 49/33. by this time my vision was closing in, and I took the "oh shit" position on the floor with my knees to my chest. As you can tell Ive been prepped for these possibilities by the Docs, so honestly at the time I wasnt as freaked out as I am now looking back on it.  Ive had B/P drops before, but Ive never had it go that low, not to mention that it took over an hour to get it back up.
So now Im left dealing with this NEW problem. Granted Ive felt pretty good. The "theory" is that the tumor puts pressure on the vagus nerve on occasion and when I work out it makes it worse, therefore dropping out my B/P. lovely. So I took today off from working out. Which sucks. But tomorrow hopefully Ill get to get back at it.. with NO problems.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I read an article on WebMD that says after working out that you should drink a glass of low fat chocolate milk. It's suppose to help you better than Gatorade etc to get your energy back faster.

Mrs. Lawler said...

THinking about you lots. Hope you feel better soon =)