Because I need to vent...

Monday, August 29, 2011

what pressure?

So, starting about a week or 2 before surgery I started having some major issues with my blood pressure. Mostly I noticed it when it was extremely hot and I had been working out or working in the yard, but about 15 minutes after whatever activity ended I'd start to feel light headed, then sorta faint, then came the cold sweat, and then came the: "Oh #$%^ I think I might pass out" feeling. The first time I took my blood pressure when this happened I had a whopping 47/33 blood pressure ( you need at least 60/30 to supply your kidneys). I chugged some water- made sure someone knew I was feeling faint, laid on the floor, knees to chest- and 30 minutes later I was up to 90/50. Thats happened about a dozen times now.
Theory is its a vagal response or a vasovagal syncope (syncope means you pass out- which I dont pass out, because Im smart and I hit the "oh #$%^" position on the floor before I get that bad). Basically your vagus nerve (the 10th cranial nerve) runs from your brain, down your neck, through your heart, and down into your abdomen (roughly) and it stimulates the body to act in ways that it will lower the heart rate. Wiki it if you REALLY just have to know more about the wonderful vagus nerve. So essentially the vagus nerve can be stimulated by a few things: pain, extreme emotional distress, tumors, any type of pressure directly to the vagus nerve, etc. etc. etc.
So last Doctors appointment I let the doc know my B/P is still bottoming out- I usually run low 100/70's (normal being about 120/70)  and he says we'll watch it, and it SHOULD get better. If not- I get to go to the beloved cardiologist for MORE tests.  I wouldnt be so concerned- except it doesnt seem to be going away. And seeing as how I'm leaving for Army training soon- I REALLY need this to go away ASAP.  But on a positive note- it doesnt seem to happen when I go for my bike rides- so lets hope I can work through it. Gotta love recovery- but on a positive note- as my good friend reminded me the other day- IM TUMOR FREE (knock on wood)!!!

No comments: