Because I need to vent...

Thursday, April 21, 2011

The always changing reaction...

I'm pretty open about Ted the tumor. Or at least I've been trying to be more open about it. There are still things I don't want to talk about, but I'm getting better. Its strange though how other people react to it. Some people, usually people Im working with, who Im not really close to, will be inquisitive and be like, "Damn, that sucks"-- my sentiments exactly! But it seems like people who really know me avoid the subject like the plague! One person actually started using it as like their own personally pitty party.. but for THEM not me...(which I find humorous).  At one point this person, extremely drunk at a bar, even lifter my shirt up, exposing my abdomen and yelled, "I WANT TO SEE THE TUMOR!!!" Ya. Classy. But the response I get most often are the people who try to be optimistic. And I appreciate the optimism... I really do. I mean, hell, I try to be (for the most part) optimistic about things... but sometimes its just like.. damn.. can't we just embrace the suck for a moment...? The response I hear most often after telling people about the tumor and all its possible negative outcomes is, "Well..... (thoughtful pause)...... there's always adoption". Now don't get me wrong, adoption is a beautiful thing, and one day I do hope to be able to adopt a child, which I think is an incredible gift and  total blessing to a family... However. Adopting a child will never be having a child, and having a child will never be adopting a child. Does that make sense at all? Those are two equally wonderful, beautiful, amazing blessings.... but they are different.  And generally when people say this to me, I just sigh and say "your right, there is always adoption".  Because if you tell them its not the same, they'll argue with you... its not the same.. it would be like someone facing amputation being told, "there's always prosthetic". I do appreciate their optimism and the fact that they are just trying to inspire in me a little hope. But sometimes the reaction that fits best is simply... "that sucks". I'm an absolute believer that everything happens for a reason, and that God has a plan. And I know he has something up his sleeves... so for now its wait and see. But for any of you who may be reading this just remember: sometimes when someone has a really shitty experience, or a really shitty diagnosis, or tells you something terrible happened. Sometimes you dont need to have a reaction... sometimes "that sucks, I'm so sorry" is the best reaction.

No comments: